Being A Disciple in 2013 (2 of 4)
A disciple of Jesus in 2013 is a person of conviction.
The old expression, “do as I say and not as I do.” does not work here. To be a person of conviction means that you learn to walk what you believe. We are people called out of the world.
Ephesians 5:8 (NIV)
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light
The life of a disciple is to show the convictions we hold. Now lets talk about the convictions we hold. The world bases its convictions on the wind of the day, drawn from their self-centered lives. They often place their convictions on the popular vote, on as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone mentality. This leads to shifting convictions, a going with the flow of culture mindset. I don’t believe that convictions can change, or they are merely ideas.
As a Christian my convictions are not based in cultural trends. They are not based on shifting truths, but on eternal ones. The unchanging and absolute truths of the World of God is the basis of our convictions.. Our convictions can sometimes rub people the wrong way, we can be accused of being narrow minded, or behind the times. The road we are called to walk is a narrow one, but the truths are eternal and not dated.
From my study of the World here are a few basic convictions I hold absolute truth.
- Marriage, designed and instituted by God, is a lifetime commitment between 1 man and 1 woman.
- Exchanging God given desires, for same sex relationships is a sin.
- Not taking care of your body, the temple of the Holy Spirit, by abusing yourself with substances that do us harm is a sin. (this includes overeating)
- Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of the Living God. He is eternal and co-exists with the Father, and the Holy Spirit – Three Persons in one Godhead. (The mystery of the Trinity)
- My God enabled faith in the all-sufficient Sacrifice of Jesus Christ as he lived a real life, died a real death, and rose to a real life is my certain hope of Salvation.
- An eternal God and not a cosmic collision created all that is in our universe, this includes man as God’s crowning creation.
- All roads do not lead to heaven, only through faith in Jesus Christ as Lord an Savior is there life.
- There is a Hell, and God desires no one to go there, but man is free to choose it.
- The Bible is the inspired, infallible World of the Living God.
- God is the creator of life and the decision to take a life are not ours to make.
These are a sampling of the convictions we must have as a disciple of Jesus Christ in 2013. Michael Card talks about his Bullet Theology. He describes it as beliefs he is willing to take a bullet for. This list above is a partial bullet list for me. If we worship God with organ or drums, if we sprinkle or dunk for baptism, if we do or do not pray the Lord’s prayer in every worship setting are a few items I will not take a bullet for.
The sad truth is that the church so often gets wrapped up in fighting among itself over things that do not matter to one’s eternal salvation, and ignore the powerful truths that are worth defending. How much wasted energy and resource has the church expanded over just the issues of how we worship. Shame on us.
To be a person of Conviction is not license to be an obnoxious person. We are called to share our convictions with the world in love. This is done most powerfully when we live our convictions in public. When we allow the world to see what we believe.
We must also recognize that the urgency of the Gospel is growing as each day, week, and year pass.
Romans 13:11-12 (NIV)
11 And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.
Being a person of conviction is just one trait of a Disciple in 2013. Next time we will discuss another trait of a Disciple in 2013.
Let me know your thoughts, agree, or disagree. Please leave me a comment below and I will respond.